Thursday, May 22, 2014

First Time in the Pool

I swam my first swim laps in 8 years. The only other time I'd been in a pool over that time was swimming the anchor 25y freestyle in the Family Medley Relay at our neighborhood pool (which we won, thankyouverymuch).

I had a plan to do a simple 10x100y workout on whatever intervals felt easy. I touched out the first one in 1:20, swimming what felt like very easy. Just focusing on form. Took a 20 sec rest and started the second one.

By midway through the second one, I could not even hold form. Holy crap, am I out of swim shape. I ended up doing 50s and 25s, with a few breaststroke laps thrown in. I got the 1000y done but, dang. That was not what I expected.

Oh well. Stick with it and it'll come around. I'm working toward doing a few benchmark workouts of 10x 400m in a long-course pool. If I can nail one of those workouts by early September, touching in 6min, I'll be set.

Got on an accurate scale for the first time in a while. 181lbs (I'm 5'11").

Goal weight for race day is 165. I've raced at 158, but that's just not realistic this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment