Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Turning a Corner...?

I hear a lot that it takes six weeks of training after a long time off to even begin to feel like an athlete again. Well, once again, I have learned that bit of wisdom is spot-on.

My long run on Sunday finally felt normal. While I'd been doing them, it was more through grit and stubbornness that through actual athletic grace. Pound it out; keep saying, "I need to finish this."

But this Sunday, I went 2 hours and it felt like...just running. No drama. Outbound leg at a smooth 10:30 pace, with HR a full 20bpm below where I would normally expect to do a half IM run. Return leg at a picked-up 9:35, still below target half IM heart rate. Really smooth...great feeling.

And so it goes...onward and upward. This old body ain't done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment