Wednesday, August 13, 2014

5 Weeks Out: Assessment

The training window is rapidly closing. By that I mean training that can actually improve my finish time. Once we're inside about 15-20 days, training shifts from "get better" to "don't eff this up." I'm not there yet, so I can still do workouts that can improve my time. So, what are those workouts?

Swim
I have done a grand total of 6,000 yards of swimming. No, I did not leave a zero off. I don't like swimming, and so I haven't gone very much. That, obviously, has to change and I've got 2-1/2 weeks to change. I will, I SWEAR, go to masters swim twice each in the next two weeks. That will be 5 masters workouts at about 2500y each (I swim in the slowest, easiest lane). Throw in a couple more during the taper weeks and I'll be fine. I'm not trying to break 30 minutes; just have a smooth and easy time of it and get into T1 at around 40 minutes.

But, time is running out and I really need to commit and get to the pool. What type workouts? It doesn't matter -- unless you're gunning for the top of your age group, just show up and do whatever the masters coach tells you to do.

Bike
My power benchmarks are good. My goal was to get 60min power up to 200w, and I'm comfortable in saying I'm at around 225w. I've had some good hard 30-40 minute efforts at that power level in the middle of longer rides. That would put my race goal at 78% of that figure, or 175w. So, I went out last weekend to do a 3hr ride at 175w as a race-rehearsal test.

No friggin way I can do that. I was toast after 2.5 hours. I have not built the stamina to stay "on the curve" and carry my short-term power predictably out to longer durations. So I will bear down and do several 4 hour steady rides over the next three weeks. I have only been riding once a week, and I'll add a mid-week ride as well.

Running
This has worked out the best. I've had several very solid 12-15 mile steady runs, and have gotten in 2-3 other runs almost every week. Once a week, I've worked in a run with 30-40 minutes of threshold pace running.

I do a half marathon this weekend that will be my true test of target race pace.

All in all, the running is great; the bike is OK; my swim fitness doesn't even exist yet.

5 weeks to go. Time to focus up.

No comments:

Post a Comment