Monday, August 4, 2014

Benchmark Run, Again

Saturday run: My favorite 13.4 mi circuit. Mild amount of hills, a little trails, and a 4 mile stretch home on a paved bike path, very slightly uphill.

Running smooth and steady, staying in the "endurance" HR zones: 9:06 pace.

That is rocking for me. Yes, real runners think that is slow, but it's nearly the best I've ever gotten. This puts me very much on pace to run 9's in the half IM. If I execute right on the bike and swim, I should be able to do it. The altitude at Tahoe is a bit of a wildcard. From what I have read, I should expect a 5% dropoff in pace.

Still...I'm very happy with how the run training has worked out. Still behind on bike and swim. Due to pending family vacation, I'll get no swim or bike time for the next week. But I can still do a solid block of those next week, still 5 weeks out from race day.

I'll run a half marathon in Oakland on the 16th. Goal race time is ~1:53 in order to be on <2 hr pace in a half IM. So, I'll try to click off 8:40 miles and see if I can hold that the whole way.

No comments:

Post a Comment