Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Swim Benchmarking

I finally have enough masters sessions under my Speedo to get a feel for fitness. I will still improve my stamina between now and September 21, but I am very happy with where I am right now.

Today's main set included 6x200y, on 3:30 for my lane. This was after the kicking sets and pulling sets. I was able to comfortably finish that swim set, touching in 3:00 to 3:05 each 200. That is a great pace for me, about as quick as I've ever done a set like that. If I can hold steady 1:30 per 100y in the pool on a little rest, I should be able to hold 1:30 with a wetsuit on.

At least, I have in the past. But that wasn't at altitude and I was 8 years younger.

But, I'm going into the swim pretty confident. I'll hit the masters swims 2x per week each of the next three weeks. I will also have a chance to swim at Lake Tahoe this weekend. Planning on 3x 15 minutes open water, with wetsuit. Should give me a good feel for the appropriate effort level at altitude.

Right now, I'm mostly worried about my bike fitness. My goal of riding at 165 to 170 watts is, I think, overly optimistic at this point. I'll probably dial my expectations back to 155w. Ride all the way to the Rte. 267 climb under 150w, and then stay under 170w on the long climb. Finish at steady 150-155. I'll get a feel for what kind of bike split that will produce this weekend by riding one lap of the course.

I don't normally think riding a course ahead of time is very worthwhile. I wouldn't go much out of my way to do it. But I have a chance to meet some friends up there this weekend, so I'm going to do it.

A bike ride is a bike ride. The course doesn't matter. You're going to sit on a power number all day anyway (+/- 5%). Who cares if the road goes up or down or left or right? I'm doing it simply out of curiosity -- a game I play where I try to predict my finishing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment