Thursday, August 14, 2014

Race Weight

When I registered for the Tahoe half, I weighed in around 184 lbs. I'd been as high as 192lbs last December (oof). I felt fat; I looked fat. Wore size 36 pants. Ugh.

With regular exercise and a sharpened focus on eating well, I'm now down to 170lbs. My guess is that I'll be at 167 or so by race day. I'm now wearing all my old size 32 pants. :-)

More importantly, I feel like "me" again.

I've also taken up weight training in the gym. Haven't really done that since college. Wow, what a difference it makes in how I feel. I'm not doing leg work in the gym at this time; after the half is done I'll probably start light squat work. But the upper body lifting really complements all the healthy improvements from running and cycling. I feel like my whole body is working together now, instead of having a scrawny weak torso carried around by nice fit legs.

But the real goal of this gym work is simple and age-old: My sons mocked me for not being able to do more than one pull-up. They can do them till I'm bored of watching. I can do 8 now. Working my way up to 10 and maybe they'll respect their old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment